Healing Quest Episode 904
with Cookus Interruptus
Massaged Kale Salad with Apples and Gorgonzola
Preparation time 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Recipe from Cookus Interruptus.
Bastyr adjunct faculty member Jennifer Adler M.S., C.N. contributed this recipe. I love to watch Jennifer work with food because she loves to use her hands. She touches and loves food into magnificent flavor and tenderness. Jennifer likes to make a bunch of this salad at once to ensure that she have dark leafy greens ready when busy days are ahead. It tastes better as the days go by.
- 1 LARGE bunch kale
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (or Sweet Glazed Nuts)
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup currants
- ¾ cup diced apple, (½ apple)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- De-stem kale by pulling leaf away from the stem. Wash leaves. Spin or pat dry.
- Stack leaves, rollup and cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade).
- Put kale in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, massage salt into kale with your hands for 2 whole minutes. The volume of the kale should reduce by about 1/3.
- To toast seeds, put in a dry skillet over low to medium heat and stir constantly for a few minutes until they change color and give off a nutty aroma.
- Put kale in a fresh bowl and discard any leftover liquid.
- Stir onion, currants, apple and toasted seeds into kale.
- Dress with oil and vinegar and toss. Taste for salt and vinegar, adding more if necessary. When at desired flavor, toss in cheese.